Monday, August 11, 2014

Love From Minnesota!!

Hi Family!!!

Hahaha! Sorry Bryce! I'll make sure I get you a lot of drinks when I get home. You know... it's kind of nice to have a break! hahaha! I miss you guys too and I'm glad that you are doing well. The weather has been pretty up and down lately but it's been an adventure! I have had some ups and downs but I'm learning more and more each day! By the way! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CONNOR!!!!! 15 YEARS OLD! WHOA! I hope he got my card! I thought it was really funny! I thought he would like it! Tell the two of them to keep working hard and I'm cheering for both of them here in Minnesota!

So... investigators... hahahaha... Well, one of them dropped us because she doesn't want to give up smoking. We had a feeling that she wasn't ready to change but she has a member in our ward as a neighbor, her name is sister Matson, who has been helping us get her to church. She is a lot like Adele was. VERY STUBBORN! So I don't think Jen has a chance of escaping the church for good. haha! We love sister Matson! Her husband has cancer and is having a hard time so we've been trying to get with sister Matson to help her. We also had a Cambodian woman named S. Tong. She was the one we found tracting on our first day that her therapist said needed God in her life. She hasn't been returning our calls though so we've been praying hard about that one. We are also working with a girl who's father is a recent convert to the church! We started by helping them clean their house. Since we are new missionaries, she was a little wary around us, but then a song from the Fault in Our Stars, the movie Taylor took me to before I came here, came on her radio and she was really excited. I asked her if she liked that movie and she opened up! She is now taking discussions and came to church yesterday with her dad! Cool huh? Thanks again Tay! But yeah, that's pretty much it!

We've actually been working really hard on helping less actives in the ward. Our ward mission leader has really been stressing the importance of it. We have had AMAZING opportunities to do service! We have an amazing less active woman who has been trying hard to come to church. She was evicted from her home after getting foot surgery and she has needed tremendous amounts of help. So we've been helping her move and clean her home. By the way, THANK YOU mom for stressing the importance of getting rid of stuff I don't need. Her house had papers that were months old that she never got around to and just tucked away so it was really hard for her to move! But we were happy to help and are trying to help her stay strong as she goes through this trial. And we also met with a less active family that can't come to church as often because her husband has agoraphobia. But she said that their goal is to be sealed on their 10th anniversary! Which is a year and a half from now so we're going to work with them and get them ready for the temple!!! So exciting! We also met with a girl named Amelia. She is a less active who has no desire to go back to church. She told us straight up that she would not be going back anytime soon. She said she knows that the church is true, but has some personal issues that she has to get over before she comes back. But she said when she's ready for religion, she'll definitely be going to the Mormon church! Which made us happy! We practiced teaching with her and she said she felt the spirit really strongly. She actually came out of character and told us what she was really feeling! Cool right? It's amazing how the spirit works! We saw her parents at church yesterday too because we had to speak along with her dad who is a stake high councilman in the apple valley ward.They came up to us and thanked us for stopping by and teaching with her. They said to keep trying with her and she would open up again.

So my companion suggests that you send my coat as soon as possible. Minnesota is famous for having early winters so she suggests I get it sooner than later. So I feel that September at the latest is when you should send it to me. But it's been pretty good weather so far! It's colder today but that's okay. It's been hot all the other days this last week so we needed the cool off!

We haven't been anywhere yet. We decided that we should walk around downtown Burnsville. It's really pretty! We've driven through there a couple of times looking for the homes of less actives. But we also have this awesome family named the Baldwins! They are a lot like people in our ward! Like, sister Hall and sister Magleby come to mind when I see them! We got orders from our mission president that we should go with the ward members and do stuff! We are allowed now to go 30 to 40 min outside our area to see stuff! So we are planning on doing something with the Baldwins soon! We have District P-day today and will be having Zone P-day next Monday! So that should be fun! We also had Zone Conference last week and the funniest thing happened. We came in to do an interview with president Forbes and he thought that I was the trainer! It was so funny! He kept asking sister Tingey how she was adjusting to the mission! It made us both laugh! We didn't tell him though so we wouldn't embarrass him. 

I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with sister Toone, one of the Sister Training Leaders. It was really cool! We worked with some awesome people and had a lot of fun together! She helped me to work on things that would get rid of homesickness and make the mission feel more manageable. She talked about how the mission was like wanting to eat an elephant. If we want to eat this whole elephant, we need to take small bite sized pieces in order to be able to accomplish it! We actually stayed in the basement of a member's house and it was HUGE! They had a massage chair and matching beds with what I'm pretty sure were temper-pedic mattresses! It was amazing! And their house smelled like the Miller's house so I almost felt like I was back at Aspen's having a sleep over! It was fun though and I enjoyed the experience!

Yes!!! I had dinner with sister Miller's mom and two sisters! We have a picture of me and sister Tingey with her sisters! They are a really cool family and they know grandma and grandpa! Sister Miller wrote her mom about them so she was excited to have a connection to us through her daughter. Sister Miller has about 9 months left in her mission so she's about halfway. I think she started her mission the same time sister Springer did! 

Sister Tingey has been on her mission for 5 months. She went in a month before Grandma and Grandpa Jolley. So she's been enjoying the mission and is also having a hard time adjusting too. Since we've been white washing. But I have come to see the importance of patience and have learned what boldly testifying really is. When people say boldly testify, they usually think of someone screaming on a soap box or forcefully shoving doctrine down people's throats. But that is not what it is. Boldly testifying can go from being a trumpet to a violin. Some people need straight forward people while others just need that calm assurance that God loves them. And I feel like I am  going to have to be the violin in this companionship. And I am happy about that. Sometimes it's good to be the quiet one in a situation. I love this gospel and I know that what I am doing is bringing others to the gospel and the love of Jesus Christ! I love you all so much and I miss you still but I know this is where I am meant to be! The homesickness has subsided but I don't think I will ever stop missing you! I love you soooooo much!

I will pray for you everyday and I love you sooooo much! I am so happy that you are doing well and I will continue to pray for your safety and for God to help you further missionary work out there!

I love you!

Love,

Sister Carlee Jacklin

P.S. I don't have any more pictures this week but will send some soon! I love you!

P.S.S. There is a video that I think you should check out on lds.org. It's called The Hope of God's Light! It's AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment